Sweets for your Sweet! Here's a sweet treat for your Valentine or to share all year round. What's better than something homemade with love?! ;)
Salted Caramels Recipe
(taste very similar to Werther's)
What you'll need:
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter (3/4 stick, at room temp)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 teaspoons fleur de sel (or coarse sea salt)
- Candy thermometer
- Wooden spoon
1. Prepare an 8x8 baking dish. Spray with no-stick cooking spray & line with parchment paper. (The double sided foil/parchment paper works great! You can also butter your dish...but PAM is oh so easy!)
2. Place cream in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, about 3 minutes, then stir in sugar, corn syrup, and brown sugar. Return to boil & stir constantly until all the sugar has dissolved (about 3 mins).
3. Reduce hear to medium while maintaining a rolling boil.
4. Remove the pan from heat & add butter, vanilla, & 2 1/2 teaspoons of sea salt. Stir until the butter melts & evenly mixed.
5. Pour into the 8x8 dish & allow to cool until the surface is set for about 1 hour. Then place in the freezer until firm (15-20 mins).
6. Lift the parchment paper to remove the caramel slab from the pan.
7. Sprinkle the remaining sea salt over the caramels & press if necessary so it adheres. Then slice the caramels in 3/4 inch squares. (You might need your Valentine to help with man strength for this step ;)
Enjoy! (for harder Salted Caramels, store in the fridge)